21 Jul Dog-friendly Staycations
We all love our summer holidays – it’s a time to get away with our family and enjoy some warmer weather. With the impact of COVID-19 still being heavily felt across the world, our typical international travel plans have had to be put on hold, but that isn’t stopping us from getting away! UK travel searches are up 103%* and what better time to explore some of the lovely spots our country has to offer and make some wonderful new memories. Added bonus: holidaying in the UK means our pooches can come with us too! There are a whole host of pup-friendly places to stay, so pack up the car, make a fun playlist and head off on a road trip to one of our favourite staycation spots!
1. The Lake District
Popular throughout the year, the Lake District has an abundance of beautiful walking routes around stunning lakes, such as Windermere and Coniston, ideal for exploring with your family and furry friends! Pack a picnic and head off on a fabulous adventure!
2. Peak District
With quaint towns to wander, and dozens of dog-friendly pubs to rest your feet at, you’re sure to find a great spot to enjoy a refreshing pint after a day of roaming through the Peak District. From exploring the gardens of the Chatsworth Estate to tart tasting in Bakewell, there is plenty to do for all the family, including your dog.
3. North Wales and Anglesey
From the picturesque views of Snowdonia National Park to the winding coastline of Anglesey spanning over 120 miles, you’re spoilt for choice in North Wales for stunning scenery. Pack a picnic and head out for the day, you and your pooch will be in for a treat!
4. Yorkshire Dales
Relax and unwind in the rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Dales. A patchwork carpet of fields, whimsical woodlands and riverside beauty spots like Bolton Abbey, the Dales has a lot to offer. Whether you’re climbing one of the many peaks scattered throughout the landscape or simply relaxing in one of the villages near a babbling brook, you and your furry friend are sure to uncover some of what makes ‘God’s own country’ so special.
The South Coast is jewelled with doggy-havens such as Cornwall, with famous dog-friendly beaches like Perranporth which boasts golden sands stretching as far as the eye can see. Breathe in that sea air, strap on your walking boots and explore the coastal routes with breathtaking views. Then soak up some sunshine over an icecream with the sand between your toes, watching your four-legged friend run, fetch and swim to their heart’s content.
Top tips for dog-friendly holidays
- Make sure where you’re staying is pet friendly. It sounds obvious, but some spots have strict no pet rules in place, so take your pick from the range of locations that accommodate your fluffy friend.
- Plan your journey. If you’re heading off on a long road trip to get to your staycation spot, make sure you plan plenty of rest stops to let your dog out, stretch its legs and go to the toilet. Also, make sure you pack plenty of food and water for the journey! Snacks are essential – for both people and pooches!
- Stock up on your checklist of supplies. Make sure you don’t run out of things you’ll need for your pet, such as food, treats, medication, toys, bedding and anything else you can think of. The last thing you want is to try and buy them when you arrive to find nowhere stocks what you’re looking for. Top tip: DON’T FORGET POO BAGS!
- Be safe when out and about. When you’re in a new place it is easy to get distracted by the natural beauty around you, but make sure you’re vigilant when your dog is off the lead just in case you’re near any wildlife or busy roads.
- Be prepared on walks. Make sure you take plenty of water and snacks, both for you and your pooch, when out exploring. Keeping your dog cool and hydrated, especially in these warmer summer months is key.
- Know the details of a local vet. Holidays are about having fun and making new memories with the ones you love. For those times things don’t quite go to plan, make sure you know the details of the local vets just in case your dog becomes injured or unwell. Rest assured knowing our range of insurance policies will have you and your dog covered if you need us, so chill out and enjoy your summer staycation exploring everything our lovely country has to offer!