Keep your pets safe this Easter

Keep your pets safe this Easter

As we hit the supermarkets in stampede for all things chocolatey and sweet, make sure your Easter is a joyous time for the whole family with our ultimate guide to keeping your pet safe.
It’s not uncommon for our furry friends to chomp on something they shouldn’t, slippers and socks n all! However as we’re filling our house with Easter supplies, it’s important to know exactly what can be a toxin or danger for our pets.

Easter Eggs and other Chocolate
Have you heard of Theobromine? Well, this chemical is most commonly found in chocolate and is completely safe for us to eat. The same can’t be said for dogs, cats and rabbits. Because their metabolism is slower, Theobromine can be poisonous to them.
Chocolate is something you should avoid keeping near pets at all times, however at Easter it’s even more vital. Chocolate and Easter eggs are plentiful in our households around this time, and if they’re within reach of your dog especially, temptation will take over!
It is thought that cats and rabbits can’t taste sweetness like you or me, so they’re less likely to try and eat chocolate, however you should still be cautious.
It can take up to 24 hours for the poison to start taking effect in your pet, so keep your eyes peeled for any early symptoms including vomiting, tremors, abnormal heart rate and increased thirst.

Sweets
Another guilty pleasure that we just can’t get enough of at Easter is our sweets! Many of our sweet treats are made with Xylitol and other artificial sweeteners, which can cause a real problem if digested by our four-pawed friends.
Even a small amount of this substance can be extremely detrimental to your dogs, cats and rabbits health. If your pet does manage to sneak a sweet, there’s some vital symptoms that they’ll display. These include vomiting, weakness, lethargy and seizures.

Baskets
Another popular gift at Easter is an Easter basket. And with plenty of decorative supplies at our disposal in the supermarkets and online, the last thing we consider is the risk they can cause to our pets.
Any filler materials, like straw and faux grass, can be exciting to our cats especially. The thin strands are extremely fun for our feline friends to play with, however there’s also a high risk that they can digest these materials amidst the fun. This causes obstruction of a pet’s digestion and is usually only solved through surgery.
Other small items and toys in an Easter basket can have the same effect on dogs if swallowed. It’s important to remember that anything new we bring into our homes, will be investigated by our pets too.
If your pet’s curiosity has gotten the better of them, and there is a digestive obstruction, they’ll show symptoms of bloating, dehydration and persistent vomiting.

Flowers
Another important tradition of Easter is the Easter lily, also known as a lilium longiflorum. It is common for this plant to be both in our household or sprouting in our gardens at Easter, however if you’re a cat owner you should avoid lilies at all costs.
Every part of a lily is fatally poisonous to a cat, including if the pollen transfers onto their fur or the ground they walk on. There are lots of symptoms to show if your cat might’ve been poisoned by this plant, however a lilies poison is so dangerous it’s better to avoid having them at all.
As we know Easter brings along with it spring, which is a time of the year where all our favourite plants and flowers begin to bloom. But like lilies, there are lots of other plants that can be a danger to our pets including daffodils and tulips. To find out more, check out our previous blog ‘Flowers to keep away from your pets’.

Safety first
Although Easter really is a time for the whole family to enjoy, our pets always come first. If you think your animal has eaten something that may be a danger to their health, it’s always better to contact your vet immediately.